Thursday, July 26, 2012

Whole Wheat Garlic Bun Rolls



Oh, now I know how it feels like to be bitten by the baking bug! Just awesome!! :D Yes, ever since I figured out the proper convection mode settings of my microwave oven, my eagerness to bake up new goodies has only increased. And am I glad about it or what!! :)

Having tried my hand at a couple of cakes and cookies, I wanted to experiment baking with yeast and increase my scope for baking. I had never baked with yeast, nor had I any clue of how this even looked like :D Only a few days ago, I bought a packet of Dry Yeast and added it on to baking stuff, hoping to turn into a goodie someday soon.

When I was browsing for an interesting recipe to begin my baking-with-yeast endeavour, this recipe from Sharmi's Passions caught my attention immediately. The processes seemed simple, the ingredients were health-friendly and her pictures looked so delicious, I just had to try it :) Am glad I did, the garlic bun rolls were an absolute delight and a great hit at home. They were all yummified in 10 minutes flat! :D




Ingredients:


You may want to check this post : How to make Yeast Dough?


Wheat Flour - 1 and 1/2 cup
Plain Flour/Maida - 1/2 cup
Warm Water- 1 cup
Active Dry/Instant Yeast - 1/2 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tbsp
Olive Oil - 1/2 tbsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp

For Garlic Spread:
Salted butter - 2 tbsp
Garlic - 6 big cloves, minced

Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Green chillies - 1 finely chopped
Italian seasoning - 1 tsp

Method:

---------------------------------------------
Proofing of the yeast, if using Active Dry Yeast:
  • In warm water, add sugar, yeast and oil. Mix well till yeast dissolves completely. The solution should begin to froth up and bubbles should appear on top. If this does not happen, start from scratch as this step is crucial in the baking of these buns.

Proofing of the yeast, if using Instant Yeast:

If using Instant Yeast, proofing is not needed and the yeast can be directly added into the flour. However, to be on the safer side and to avoid disappointment it is always better to proof it as it only takes a few minutes.
  • In mildly warm water, add sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 4-5 minutes. The solution should begin to froth up and bubbles should appear on top.


---------------------------------------------

Now to the rest of the procedure:
  • Mix together APF, Wheat flour, salt, oil, proofed yeast mix. Add extra water or flour as needed to make a firm, yet slightly sticky dough.
  • Keep this dough in a well greased bowl,  undisturbed for an hour, preferably in a warm place. Cover it with a wet muslin cloth or a plastic cling wrap.


  • At the end of an hour, the dough would have raised to almost double the quantity.
  • Now knead the raised dough once more with 1/2 tsp of oil
  • Dust flour on your work platform and roll out the dough evenly into an oval/rectangular shape of about 1.2 an inch thickness, using chapathi roller.


  • Prepare the garlic spread by mixing together softened butter, coriander leaves, green chillies, garlic and Italian seasoning.
  • Spread this garlic spread on one side of the rolled dough and gently roll in from one end to another into a firm roll. Keep aside a bit of the spread for the topping.
  • Cut even sized little rolls out of this. You should get about 6-8. 

  • Spread the remaining garlic spread on top of the cut sides of the mini rolls and sprinkle sesame seeds on top of it.
  • Now keep them arranged in a greased tin with cut side up.
  • Keep aside for another 30 minutes to allow these rolls to raise again.
  • Preheat the oven for 170 deg C.
  • Bake the rolls at 170 deg C for 15-20mins or until the buns starts to brown.
  • You could also add grated cheese on top for an added extra flavour.
  • Enjoy these yummy rolls warm, straight out of the oven :)
  • These rolls made a healthy and wholesome dinner... oh did I forget to add YUMMY?! :)

Sending this to Tickling Palates:

and to My Cook Book




10 comments:

  1. Aren't these just super?? A great bun for b'fast, lunch or dinner:)) I like the wholewheat addition :) Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savory buns... yummm!!! Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this is looking gr8.I have in my try list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been browsing your blog for a while! I love the presentation! Beautiful pics..

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. m a new learner in baking items.. so plz dont mind to answer my simple questions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. APF is All Purpose Flour or maida. Sorry for the confusion :) And absolutely no problem, you can let me know if you need any further info. You can also mail me at nanditapai29@gmail.com if needed... I will be glad to help :)

      Delete
  7. hai, tried this bun but it dint come right... all the steps were same as u did but i dont know how it went wrong while baking.. bun got very hard. can say harder than an toast. that too just in 5 to 8min i got some buring smell from oven. dont know where i went wrong. was very excited till the making rolls step.. once it went to oven dont know wht happend...can u plz guide me where i went wrong... very badly intrested to learn baking...

    thanks
    nammu

    ReplyDelete