Lentils and spinach, truly a wholesome and nutritious combination. And what makes it even better it, this combo taste really good too. There are varieties of dals out there, each with a unique taste of its own allowing you to play around with teaming them up in various combinations to get a new preparation each time! :)
I personally love preparing dal varieties for the simple reason that I do not have to cut many veggies :P Cutting vegetables is what puts me off most of the times and I look for dishes that call for minimal cutting! :D
Spinach is one of the easiest vegetables to deal with. In no times, a whole bunch is washed, chopped and ready to cook. That leaves me with just an onion and tomato to chop. It's okay, not much :) So here is a simple dal preparation, using spinach, onion, tomato and some spices.
Assorted Dal - 1 cup
(I used a portion of Masoor Dal, Toor Dal, Moong Dal and Split Black Dal)
Spinach - 1 bunch
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick - 1
Star Anise - 1-2
Oil - 1 tbsp
Water - a little
Salt - to taste
- Wash and chop the spinach bunch.
- Chop the onion and tomato into small cubes.
- Wash the assorted dals, drain out water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and allow to splatter.
- Add Cinnamon stick and broken star anise pieces.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and ginger-garlic paste. Mix well.
- Add the washed dal mix and stir again.
- Now add the chopped spinach.
- To this add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala and cumin powder.
- Add sufficient water enough to cover the mixture such that the water level is about 1 inch above the mixture. Pressure cook for about 10-15 minutes and alleast 4-5 whistles.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rotis or rice.