During my schooldays, there was a bakery in Chennai - Vergey's Bakery, that sold this amazing tea cake, I can still remember the taste of it tickling my taste buds! It was a simple tea cake, or butter sponge cake. Dad used to buy those cakes for us often and we happily munched on them along with our evening snacks.
A few days back, Nags had posted a fabulous picture of a sponge cake and the moment I saw it, I was transported back to my school days and that tea cake in particular! Had book marked this right then and finally after weeks of sitting in my bookmark folder, it sees the daylight today, as I baked this up today! It was simple and yum :)
This being an eggless version did not taste the way that sponge cake did, but it was delicious nevertheless. Am glad to have found a simple eggless vanilla sponge cake recipe
All purpose flour/Maida - 1.5 cups
Thick Curd/Yogurt - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Baking powder - 1 and 1/4 tsp
Olive Oil or Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Pre-heat Microwave (in convection mode) to 180 deg C.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the yogurt and ensure all lumps are removed. Add in the sugar and mix well.
- Add baking powder and baking soda to this mixture and mix well.
- Set aside this mixture for 5 mins until small bubbles appear on the surface.
- Add vanilla extract and oil to this mixture and mix all the ingredients well.
- Add the flour in parts and gently fold in the batter until no more dry flour is seen.
- Prepare a baking pan, by greasing it with butter and pour in this prepared batter into this baking pan.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 30-35 mins until the top turns a golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the pan to cool for about 10-15 minutes before slicing it. Slicing it when warm, would crumble the cake.Turn it over onto a plate/cutting board and slice up a huge piece for yourself :D
Baked some Stuffed Buns along with this Cake for our tea time today :)