It is only recently that I have started using pumpkins more often. I have always liked it as a child and made no fuss eating them, when mum made them. But somehow, in my own kitchen, I have not cooked with pumpkins until a few months back.
Pumpkin is nutritious vegetable that has a sweet flavour to it. And the options to cook with them is endless. My favourite till now has been a simple tempered pumpkin side dish to go with Rice and dal. But after I dished out a healthy Spinach and Pumpkin Pasta, this is definitely the top on the list :) The succulent flavour of pumpkin puree I used for this pasta, made me love the veggie more.
When I made this for the first time, I searched the net for method to puree the pumpkin and found most of them gave the microwave method to do it. It sounded easy, but I wanted a stove top method. I experimented using a pressure cooker and was mighty glad with the output :)
|Raw pumpkin slice|
- Cut the pumpkin into manageable pieces. About the size that would fit comfortably into your pressure cooker.
|Immerse in water and pressure cook for 10 mins|
- Lay them inside the pressure cooker and fill with water until the pieces are completely immersed.
- Pressure cook for about 5 minutes on medium flame, without the whistle on. (like you would make idlies).
- After 5 minutes, check if the pumpkin pieces are soft at the touch of a fork. Poke the fork at random spots of the pumpkin pieces, the fork should poke in easily.
- If its not cooked yet, allow to pressure cook for another 5 minutes.
|Boiled pumpkin pieces|
- Once cooked, drain out the water and transfer the pieces into a bowl.
|Scoop out the pumpkin pulp|
- Using a spoon, scoop out the pumpkin pulp off the skin.
|Discard the skin|
- After all of the pumpkin pulp has been scooped out clean off the skin, discard the skin.
|Mash the pulp in to a smooth puree|
- Using a spoon, mash the pumpkin pulp into a fine puree, free of any lumps.
- You can store this in an air-tight container in the refrigerator or use it immediately.
Suggested Recipes: Spinach and Pumpkin Pasta