Sprouting of the Moong bean is the process of allowing the moong bean seeds to germinate and letting the white radical emerge from within. Sprouted Moong beans are several times bigger than it's original size.
The benefits of sprouts are many. Some of the important ones are:
- They are high in nutrients.
- Helps you keep a check of your weight as they have a low calorie density.
- They may support healthy vision.
- Suitable for anyone suffering from delicate digestive systems.
- Most importantly, they ensure your vegetable consumption is increased resulting in your diet becoming healthier!
Excerpts from http://www.sprouts-as-medicine.com/:
"The amazing biochemical process of sprouting transforms this seed with already a number of significant health benefits into a superfood. This process makes Vitamin C available which is not found in the seed."
There are several methods to sprout moong. After quite a few attempts, I have landed on the simplest method that suits me just fine and so decided to share it here.... :)
- Take one cup of Moong beans. (remember it more than doubles after sprouting!)
- Clean the moong by wash it in water once and drain out the water. Then, fill the bowl with water such that the water level is well above the level of moong in the bowl.
- Allow to soak for 6-8 hours (you can soak it overnight, or from morning to night). After the end of 6-8 ours, the moong beans would have puffed up a bit and the water quantity would have reduced.
- Drain out the water completely, leaving the damp moong beans to sit in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it undisturbed for another 6-8 hours.
- At the end of 5-6 hours, you will notice small sprouts in the moong beans. If you are satisfied with them, you an use them right away. If you want bigger sprouts... put the lid back on and continue the waiting!
- At the end of 8-9 hours, you would notice bigger sprouts. I like mine like this :) Again, you can use them right away, or you can hang on and wait for even bigger sprouts.
- Just make sure, not to disturb them, or add in any water to them.
- If not using the moong immediately, transfer the sprouted moong beans into an airtight container and refrigerate. Use as needed :)
Sprouted Moong can be used as is or can be transformed into several interesting dishes. Here are some of my experiments: