Thursday, December 13, 2012

Rajma Paratha | Kidney Beans stuffed Indian Bread



Presenting to you... yet another paratha variation :) This time around its an absolute experiment and a successful one at that. I love kidney beans or rajma as it is called in India. If perfectly cooked, these beans are soft in texture and have an interesting flavour of their own. I have made rajma as a side dish several times and love it with rotis or rice.


These days, to help me manage my work and home schedules, I plan my meals a little better. I pre-cook some basic items before hand at my convenience and store them in the fridge for later, when I need to make a meal in a hurry. For instance, when I have time on my hand, I pressure cook channa/chickpea, rajma/kidney beans, potatoes and store them in the fridge and they come so much in handy when I am in a rush to get to work, as I can dish out a meal like Channa Pulav or Spiced Baby Potato Roast in minutes with the pressure-cooked ingredients ready for use :) Well, this pre-cooking plan lasts for about 2-3 days and it really helps! :)


So, I had this lot of pressure cooked kidney beans in my fridge and I also had a small ball of dough... voila! I could just visualize my meal in front of me... and in another half hour, it was really in front of me :D With a very easy stuffing, which doesn't not need any stove top cooking... I prepared these extremely healthy parathas :)

Rajma is a very paratha-friendly ingredient, by which i mean its its easy to make parathas with it as it gets mashed up and shapes easily into rounds, like boiled potatoes. Try them out :)




Ingredients

Wheat Flour - 2 cups
Flax seed powder - 1 tsp (optional)
Rajma | Kidney Beans - 1 cup, pressure-cooked
Cheese - 1 cube, grated
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Dried Fenugreek Leaves/Kasuri Methi - a handful
Coriander Leaves - a little
Salt - as needed
Water - as needed
Ghee - as needed



Method:
  • Mix together wheat flour, flax seed powder and a pinch of salt.
  • Using water little by little, as needed, make a firm dough ball. Set aside.

  • Mash the pressure cooked kidney beans to get a coarse consistency.
  • Add in the grated cheese, spices, dried fenugreek leaves and salt and mix well to incorporate all the flavours. Set aside.
  • Now, make smaller balls of the dough ball (but make sure they are bigger than normal chapathi dough balls, as you would be stuffing them with filling. So bigger dough balls are easier to work with)


  • Dust the work floor and place one dough ball on the board and roll it out into a flat round using the rolling pin.
  • Place a tbsp heaped dollop of the kidney bean mixture in the middle.
  • Bring together the ends of the rolled out doughs and pinch it to shape.
  • Flatten it with your hands, then dip it in flour and place it back on the board. Gently roll it out shaping it into a round as you go.
  • Do this for all the dough balls.
  • Roast them on a hot griddle, one by one using little ghee on both sides.



  • Serve these yummy parathas with raita or pickle. I love them plain, as it is stuffed with a flavourful filling.


Sending it to Only Parathas and Flat Breads event hosted by Big Sweet Tooth

15 comments:

  1. wow...Mouthwatering clicks!!! Very healthy parathas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nandita the chef :) we love all your new new parathas and girl you know how to juggle between bot worlds, you amaze me and not just work and cooking, blogging too ;) ranjma paratas who would think of these combinations??? looks perfectly made, yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this thick filling stuffing... one paratha is good enough to take u through the day. I want one now with some curds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mouthwatering here..Drooling here, cant resist to this fabulous dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You remind me of my granny who would make the most yummiest paranthas and not share her recipe because there really wasn't any fixed recipe. She would literally make anything into paranthas!! I loved your idea..sounds so yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ramja stuffed pratha! Now,this is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rajma is our favorite too, this is a great option Nandita - totally loved it. Like u, even I like to boil some stuff & have it ready in my fridge for quick meals.


    Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. healthy and yummy rotis.great.....nice blog vth tasty recipes..
    BTW visit my space if gets sum time n check out my new facebook page dear..
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your paranthas look so flaky! Our kiddos love rajma-chawal, must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Healthy parathas looks very flavorful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! looks great......tho not a big fan of these beans!.....ur such a health freak! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love Rajma but have never tried rajma paratha's.Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. really lovely parathas... thank u for linking... :)

    ReplyDelete