Frankly speaking, this wasn't a planned recipe (well, like most of my other recipes :P ) I was not in a mood to cook an elaborate meal that day and hence settled to make some kind of variety rice. Now, I just happened to have sprouted moong sitting in my fridge which needed to be finished. And since I did not have many other vegetables to put into my rice, I chose to team sprouted moong with coconut!
Well, I was skeptical of the final product myself, but hey, it turned out to be interesting! :D
The crunchiness of the sprouts with the slight sweetness of the coconut gave an interesting flavour to the rice. And the best part... it had not much chopping! I hate cutting veggies, when I am not in a mood to cook! :P
You could add in any other vegetables in this if you like. This by itself is a healthy combo packed with proteins and nutrition.
Rice - 1 cup
Sprouted Moong - 1 cup [How to sprout moong?]
Onion - 1 medium, finely minced
Methi/Fenugreek Leaves - 1 tbsp
Coconut - 1/2 cup, grated
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Cashew - a few
Ghee - 2 tsp
Water - as needed
- Pressure cook rice with 2 cups of water and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add in the cumin seeds.
- Once they splatter, add in minced onions and allow them to caramelise.Now add in the sprouted moong and methi leaves. Stir well and allow them to cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the spices - turmeric powder, red chilli powder, pepper powder and salt. Mix well.
- Now, add the cooked rice and mix well to ensure the rice is covered well in the prepared mixture.
- Add the grated coconut and a little bit of ghee. Stir once more.
- Garnish with roasted cashew nuts.
- This deliciously healthy rice goes great with a simple salad or serve it with a side of your choice! :)