Sunday, July 14, 2013

Semolina Bread Toast | Suji Bread Toast


It was another awesome rainy evening. And the kiddo wanted something to munch and started raiding the kitchen. Well, we do not stock up much shop-bought snackies and I too craved for some evening munchy... hence I stepped up and offered to make something. Ah...the weather was just too beautiful to be spent by not munching on something yummy!! :D
 
So, after a glance at my pantry, I realised I had not much options to dish out something quick. The pantry was due its refilling. A packet of bread lay on the kitchen counter with about 5-6 slices of bread in it. Okay, so I decided to create something out of those slices! After a few minutes of googling, I knew just the snack I was going to prepare and started off without wasting another minute. Of course there was always some extra minutes set aside for my pics to be clicked! :D But then after clicking the first few steps, I stopped as I suddenly felt unsure of how the taste would be and didn't want to post something which wasn't approved in my kitchen. So well, I skipped clicking the final picture of the bread snack and simply served it to the hungry tummy.
 

Just one bite into it and the kiddo's face lit up like a 1000 watt bulb! I enquired if it really tasted good and if he wanted some more. All he could manage was a nod and the words 'Its yummy!!' :) Ah, the bliss of serving my family :) So there.. with the approval of my client, this time the final pictures were clicked too and minutes later, the plate was wiped clean :)
 
That's how another beautiful yummy-in-the-tummy evening passed by at our home. And the kiddo by the way, is the big kid of our home... the one am married to! :P


Adpated from here.
Makes: 12 pieces
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins

Ingredients

Bread slices - 6
Semolina/Suji - 1 cup
Onions - 1 small, finely chopped
Tomato - 1 small , finely chopped
Capsicum - 1/2, finely chopped
Pepper Powder - as needed
Green Chillies - 2
Coriander Leaves - a handful, finely chopped
Curd - 1 cup, a little more if needed
Water - a little, if needed
Salt - to taste


  • In a mixing bowl, add the semolina, chopped onions, capsicum, green chillies, tomatoes and coriander leaves. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper powder.
  • Add curd little by little and mix well to form a thick batter. Add a little water if needed.
  • Heat a flat-bottomed pan and drizzle a bit of oil in it.
  • Place two slices of bread over it and smear a layer of the semolina-curd batter on the bread slices.
  • Drizzle a bit of oil over the batter.
  • Once the bottom side of the bread seems to have toasted a little, gently flip over the bread slices and dab on the slices to ensure the topping is pressed in to enable even cooking.
  • Allow to toast for a few minutes and then flip over again to check if both sides are toasted well.
  • Transfer onto a serving plate and serve hot with ketchup! Oh yum, this recipe is a definite keeper!!


Note: The semolina-curd batter that is used can be made before had and refrigerated. Which can be later used when needed. Just add in a little water and then its good to be used. I had some leftover batter, which I refrigerated and used for our breakfast the next day. 


10 comments:

  1. Good narration! and very interesting. With an almost empty fridge you could come up with the perfect dish possible for a rainy evening. IT had to come out tasty for all the creativity you invested in ! I will NOT try this because, I am inspired to try something totally new out of whatever I have in my kitchen now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thats the best, isn't it.. creating magic with leftovers! :) Wonder what magic dish you ended up creating with your leftovers!

      Delete
  2. Nice idea for breakfast, just one question does the semolina cook so fast or will it remain a bit hard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gauri, the semolina cooks up fine, the batter layer shouldn't be too thick. Make sure you evenly spread it out. And since there is a measure of curd in there, it cooks just fine. The toast gets a nice crunchy texture as it is toasted on the pan with some oil. Overall, it is a mix of crunch and mild softness in the batter area. It sure makes a great breakfast... you will love it!

      Delete
  3. Wow what's lovely toast.. Superb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nandita, I first browsed your post fleetingly to find out the "kiddo" suspense. Only when I reached the climax that the truth came out and I laughed heartily! Lovely piece of writing. Second time I read the recipe carefully and fell in love with its simplicity and ease of preparation at the same time tasty and healthy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very intresting combination...Filling breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! totally loved it. Mouth watering indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nandita, I dont use the bread, but the rest of the ingredients to make a thick roti on the tava with just a pat of oil. Its great for lunch boxes with chutney , ketchup and also tastes great with a little grated cheese on top.

    ReplyDelete