Monday, October 28, 2013

Mushroom Buttered Fried Rice | 15-mins meal idea




 
I LOVE meals that get done in 15-20 minutes.
 
By meals I am talking about oh-that-was-yummy-in-my-tummy-cant-beleive-it-was-made-in-a-jiffy kind of meal and not the okay-here-is-just-something-to-fill-my-hungry-tummy kind.
 
Something that is wholesome, delicious and easy to prepare.
 
Many a days, I am in this fix of not being able to decide what to cook for lunch to take to office with me the next day. As much as I love an elaborate meal with a main, a dry serve-along and a gravy dish, I prefer one-bowl meals for the ease of preparation as well as to carry along, to work. The ellaborate meals are for the weekends. This is precisely the reason why I love rice variations with loads of veggies, simple spices and different flavours in every variation.
 
And these rice dishes usually get prepared without much fore thought. They just develop based on the ingredients available and my mood while I am cooking it!! :D
 
 



It was around 20 minutes to 9 pm on a weekday sometime last week. Which meant my favourite show on air currently, Masterchef Australia would begin soon. That being the only show I watch with interest on television these days, I didn't want to miss it for anything. So without wasting another minute, I just put on my 'think-cooking' cap and began tossing in ingredients into the wok and the recipe simply unfolded itself! :D
 
What resulted was a fragrant buttered rice with some deliciously supple mushrooms in it. I love the flavour of mushrooms cooked in butter, its a wonderful pairing. If you are a mushroom lover and haven't tried this combination yet, it is time you treated yourself. Try it, sure you will agree :)



Serves: 1
Cooking Time: 15 mins

Ingredients
Cooked Rice - 1 large cup
Button Mushrooms - 7-8
Onion - 1 large, thinly sliced
Spring Onions - 1/4 cup
Italian Herb Seasoning - 1/2 tsp, chopped
Pepper - 1 tsp, crushed
Cooking Butter - 1 1/2 tbsp OR 3 to 4, 1 inch cubes
 
(I usually cube and store my slab of butter as I find that easier to handle than scooping out each time from the slab and messing up the rest)
 
Salt - as needed
Soya Sauce - a dash
Red Chilli Sauce - a dash (optional)
 
 
Method
 
 
 
 
  • Wash and clean mushrooms, chop them into 'T' shape lengthwise slices and keep them aside.
  • Heat butter in a pan. Once it has melted, add chopped onions and saute till light brown.
  • Add spring onions bits and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms are done.
  • Toss in the cooked rice, salt, pepper powder and some Italian herb seasoning. Mix well to bring everything together.
  • Now, add in a dash of soya sauce and a hint of red chilly sauce to give it some colour and additional flavour.
  • That is it! Serve hot :)
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I liked the color combo in plate and bowl very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nandita, Your culinary prowess shows in cooking such a lovely wholesome meal without prior planning. I can only imagine what lovely aroma must be emanating from buttered mushroom rice. love your healthy wholesome cooking skills. As always, lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fan of mushrooms, but I have to say i do like the sound of it with rice. May have to give this a go

    ReplyDelete