Ever experienced that moment when you want to just jump with joy and maybe do a little jig to celebrate your achievement? Oh well, I had that moment, not once but twice the day I baked this pizza... first when I took this beauty out of the oven and had my first bite.... and then the moment came again, when the husband took his first bite and when his eyes became as big as saucers and twinkled in appreciation of the goodness that he had just bit into! :D His mouth was just too full to speak but his eyes said it all :)
Trying not to sound pompous, I have to let you all know that this is by far the best pizza I have made till date!! Right from the crunch in the base to the softness inside to the way the toppings paired with each other to the final look of the pizza.... oh, I loved it all! :) Please do try it out and I assure you, you will not be let down!
It was a weekend and I was home alone attending to my usual weekend chores. I had planned on baking a pizza for myself. Since the pizza was just for me, I had the liberty to add in the veggies that I preferred (...and were not really a favourite with the hubby!). So, I decided to use those beautiful zucchinis that I had lying in the fridge and also the mushrooms. I have been yearning to bake with Zucchini for ages and thought now was the time to do just that. I made Wholewheat Pizza Base and began my baking.
But like most Saturdays, my chores did not end until way past lunch and by the time this pizza was ready, I was home alone no longer! Having taken a bite of this beauty (...and having absolutely loved it!), I decided to offer it to hubby, (who had just come back after a full meal from a function). To my delight, he ate not one but two slices of this pizza!! He LOVED it! Considering the fact that he does not fancy mushrooms or zucchinis... you understand why this was a happy-dance moment for me, don't you?! :)
Pizza Base - 1
Green Zucchini - 1 small,
Yellow Zucchini - 1 small
Button Mushrooms - 5 - 6
Onion - 1 small
Cheese - 1/4 cup, grated
Tomato Sauce / Pizza Sauce - 1 tbsp
Italian Seasoning - 2-3 tsp
Red Chilly Flakes - as needed
Salt - as needed
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Fist lets chop the veggies and keep aside these chopped veggies.
- Slice the onions into small pieces.
- Slice the Mushrooms into thin 'T' shaped slices.
- Slice the Zucchinis into rounds first and then half the rounds to get 'D' shaped slices.
- Take a baking tray and line it with parchment paper. Place the pizza base on the tray.
- Smear tomato sauce/pizza sauce over the base and evenly spread it all over it.
- Spread out the chopped zucchinis, mushrooms and onions over this, sprinkles some Italian seasoning, red chilly flakes and salt.
- Generously sprinkle grated cheese over. Smear a little oil on the sides, along the crust if you like them to become a golden brown. Drizzles some oil over the topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 170 degrees (15 mins on the lower heat rod and 10 mins on the upper heat rod).
- Take out of oven, sprinkle with some more red chilly flakes and pizza seasoning and serve hot :)
I SO loved the look of this pizza, that I couldnot stop clicking. I have run short of things to write about it, but I leave you with some more pictures to treat your eyes .... :D
Posting it to We Knead To Bake, Sept 2014